Leftover turkey from Thanksgiving (or a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store) helps this 15-Minute Turkey Stroganoff with Fresh Rosemary come together quickly for a delicious weeknight meal!
We all know that one of the best things about Thanksgiving dinner is the leftovers. Which is actually a really good thing because after taking so much time to prepare Thanksgiving dinner, most of us are usually ready for a break in the kitchen.
A delicious 15-minute dinner is right up my alley.
My hubby and I eat a lot of leftovers, but we’re different in our approach. He doesn’t mind eating the same exact meal five nights straight. On the other hand, I like to reinvent leftovers into a completely different meal, like this Stroganoff, which is quite possibly as different a meal from Thanksgiving dinner as any meal can be. That’s what keeps dinner interesting!
This meal reminds me of my childhood; my mom would occasionally make Beef Stroganoff and it was always a favorite with my sister and I. In this version, I added fresh rosemary for a pop of flavor and used turkey instead of beef, but it still has that same deliciously creamy sauce. I used Swanson® Certified Organic Chicken Broth as the base for this sauce; made from organic vegetables and free-range chicken, this broth adds great depth of flavor to the dish.
I thickened the sauce with a touch of flour, and sour cream makes it rich and velvety. To lighten it up just a touch, I use a bit less sour cream than many recipes call for, but you can even reduce the sour cream to 1/4 cup if you like. And I want to mention, this dish is just as delicious with a rotisserie chicken as it is with leftover Thanksgiving turkey, so feel free to use whatever you have on hand.
What’s your favorite way to use Thanksgiving leftovers?
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 oz (225 g) brown or white button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (240 ml) Swanson® Certified Organic Chicken Broth
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cooked turkey, chopped (or rotisserie chicken)
- ½ cup (115 g) sour cream
- Pasta (I used pappardelle) or egg noodles
- Mashed potatoes
- Cauliflower rice
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat; add the butter and once melted, add the onion and mushrooms. Cook until the vegetables are softened, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, rosemary, and flour, and cook 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the broth, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and turkey, and bring to boil; turn off the heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Serve with anything you like.
Disclosure: I’m thrilled to partner with Swanson® as a brand ambassador. I received the Swanson® products that I used in this recipe for free, and I also received compensation for this post. I am happy for the opportunity to share brands that I believe in with my readers, and I hope you enjoy my recipe. As always, opinions stated are my own.