Gooey melted mozzarella combined with savory garlic and herbs makes this Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks Recipe the perfect go-to when you want a low carb version of cheesy garlic bread.
I made this recipe a couple weeks ago and it was so good that just looking at the pictures now is making me giddy about it all over again.
And I’m not really the giddy type (unless I’m antique shopping for blog props, lol!).
Let me back up a minute.
The Story Behind These Cauliflower Breadsticks
Lately I’ve been seeing cauliflower crust pizza recipes pop up all over the place. It seemed like the new fad, so of course I didn’t want to make it.
When it comes to food, I’m drawn to the real deal with things like pizza and breadsticks, and I didn’t see how a “crust” made out of cauliflower could be good, let alone reminiscent of a real crust.
The other day when a friend called asking if I’d tried cauliflower crust pizza and I said no, she insisted I do so in no uncertain terms.
She even threatened to not make her veggie-stuffed-and-smothered chicken breasts for me again until I try it. (Her veggie-stuffed-and-smothered chicken breasts are killer, so this is huge in my world.) She was as giddy about cauliflower crust then as I am now.
I agreed to make cauliflower crust, but as breadsticks instead of pizza. (As far as I’m concerned, pizza, specifically New York-style, holds a special place in my heart and a cauliflower-crusted impostor has no place masquerading there.)
So I made the breadsticks.
I took my first bite and had to stop and really enjoy what I was eating. Never would I have thought that a simple mixture with cauliflower as the base ingredient could simulate bread. It’s mind-blowing, really.
For someone who eats low carb or can’t eat regular cheesy garlic bread because of allergies or for any other reason, I can see this Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks Recipe being a go-to.
Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks Recipe
This recipe has minimal ingredients. The base is cauliflower rice, and it uses eggs and cheese as the binder. Garlic, herbs, and cheese lend tons of flavor!
Cauliflower Breadsticks Ingredients:
- Cauliflower rice
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Italian herb seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
How to Make Cauliflower Breadsticks
You can buy fresh cauliflower rice in the produce section of the grocery store, or you can easily make your own cauliflower rice.
If you’re making your own, just grate fresh cauliflower on a cheese grater.
Next, microwave the cauliflower rice. Alternatively, you can sauté it in 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a skillet on the stovetop over medium-high heat until it starts to soften, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, sauté garlic until it’s fragrant.
Add the garlic, eggs, cheese, and seasonings to the bowl of cauliflower rice.
And give it a good stir to combine.
Now spread the mixture evenly into an 8 by 8-inch baking dish that’s lined with parchment paper and sprayed with olive oil cooking spray.
Bake until the loaf is golden, and then carefully invert it onto a baking tray that’s lined with foil, parchment paper, or a silpat liner and sprayed with olive oil cooking spray. The bottom is now on top!
Bake until it’s golden and then top with more shredded mozzarella and herbs.
Lastly, broil until the cheese is melted and golden in spots.
Slice it into 8 breadsticks and enjoy!
Do Cauliflower Breadsticks Taste Like Bread?
This really is the million dollar question!
This recipe for Cauliflower Breadsticks is meant to taste like cheesy garlic bread. The savory flavor of garlic and herbs is prominent, as well as the flavor of cheese.
In addition to acting as binders, the eggs in this recipe help yield a fluffier texture, and the cheese helps give it a chewiness.
You can definitely taste the cauliflower in this recipe, but it’s not overwhelming and it blends well with the other flavors.
More Cauliflower Crust Recipes to Try:
- Hawaiian Pizza by Recipe Girl
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust by One Good Thing by Jillee
- Vegetarian Pizza with Mushrooms and Olives by Kalyn’s Kitchen
And If You Still Want More Cauliflower:
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Pav Bhaji
- Keto Cauliflower Hash Browns Recipe
- Cheesy Loaded Cauliflower Mash
- Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Gluten Free Pad Thai Cauliflower Side Dish
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith
Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks Recipe
- 2 tablespoons freshly-grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley for garnish
- 1/2 cup no-sugar-added marinara sauce for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line an 8 by 8-inch or 9 by 9-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with olive oil cooking spray.
- If you're making your own cauliflower rice, use a cheese grater to grate fresh cauliflower.
- Put the cauliflower rice in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes on high. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and once hot, add the garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- To the bowl with the cauliflower, add the garlic, eggs, 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning, salt, black pepper, and 3/4 of the shredded mozzarella. Stir to combine.
- Spread the cauliflower mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
- Bake until the loaf is set and starting to turn golden, about 30 minutes.
- Line a baking tray with foil, parchment paper, or a silpat liner, and spray it with olive oil cooking spray. Place the prepared baking tray on top of the baking dish and flip it upside-down, so the cauliflower loaf is now upside-down on the prepared baking tray. Bake until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Spread the remaining 1/4 of the shredded mozzarella and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning on top.
- Broil a couple minutes until the cheese is melted and golden in spots.
- Cut into 8 breadsticks. Serve warm, topped with Parmesan and parsley along with marinara sauce if desired.
- Net Carbs: 4g per serving
- Nutrition information for this recipe was calculated without the optional marinara sauce.
- Cauliflower Rice: You can use store-bought fresh cauliflower rice, or make your own cauliflower rice. To make your own, grate fresh cauliflower on a cheese grater. You will need to grate about half of a large head of cauliflower (about 6 ounces) to get 3 cups of cauliflower rice for this recipe.
- Instead of microwaving the cauliflower rice, you can sauté it in 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a skillet on the stovetop over medium-high heat until it starts to soften, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products I believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, I will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items. Thank you for helping to support An Edible Mosaic!