This Cheesy Loaded Cauliflower Mash Recipe is a low carb alternative to steakhouse-style loaded mashed potatoes. It’s rich and creamy, and perfect paired with steak or chicken.
When I think of crowd-pleasing foods, things like pizza, chicken, rice, and ice cream come to mind.
I generally wouldn’t expect cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, kale, and/or cauliflower to be on the list.
The funny thing is, literally everyone who has tried this cauliflower mash has asked for the recipe. And that’s the real test for whether someone truly likes a dish, right? It’s easy enough to be polite and say something is delicious, but when they ask you for the recipe you know they mean business!
My inspiration for this mash came from loaded mashed potatoes that you can get at pretty much any steakhouse. Bacon, cheese, and scallions are usually involved, so I included them here as well.
This mash is velvety smooth, and actually, it makes a mighty fine soup if you don’t bake it.
How to Make This Loaded Cheesy Cauliflower Mash in Advance
To make this dish ahead of time:
- Complete steps 1 through 4 in the recipe below.
- Store covered in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can store it in individual portions or in a larger dish.
- When you want to eat it, sprinkle the remaining bacon and cheese on top and bake as directed in step 5 of the recipe below.
Pro Tip: Make a double batch of this recipe and store it in individual portions in the fridge for quick meals throughout the week.
What to Serve with Mashed Cauliflower
You can serve this along with chicken or steak. It’s also a delicious addition to a holiday meal, and it can be made ahead of time, which is always a bonus!
Here are a few things that go well with this side dish:
- Cast Iron Burgers
- Gluten Free Healthy Baked Chicken Tenders
- Reverse Seared Steak
- Easy Instant Pot Beef Brisket Recipe
- BBQ Chicken
- New York Strip and Portobello Mushroom Steaks
More Low Carb Side Dish Recipes:
- Basil Pesto Summer Squash Sauté
- Roasted Asparagus
- How to Make Cauliflower Rice
- Creamy Garlic Broccoli Mash
- Low Carb Biscuits Recipe (Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits Copycat)
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith
Cheesy Loaded Cauliflower Mash Recipe
- 1/2 pound cauliflower cut into large florets
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 slices turkey bacon diced
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces cheddar shredded (divided)
- 1 scallion green and white parts, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400F; get out a 12-oz gratin dish.
- Add the cauliflower to a medium saucepan and cold water to cover. Cover the saucepan, bring to a boil, and then turn the heat down to simmer until the cauliflower is soft but not mushy, about 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, crisp the bacon. Add the butter to a small to medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the turkey bacon and cook until browned, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Add the cauliflower, cream cheese, heavy cream, onion powder, salt and black pepper to a food process and puree until smooth. Stir in 3/4 of the bacon and 1/2 of the cheddar. Spoon the mixture into the gratin dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 of the bacon and 1/2 of the cheddar on top and bake until warm and bubbling, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the scallion on top and serve.
- Net Carbs: 4g per serving
- To Make This Ahead: Complete steps 1 through 4. Store covered in the fridge for up to 4 days before sprinkling the remaining bacon and the cheese on top and baking.
This post was first published on An Edible Mosaic on September 16, 2016. I updated it with more information on May 19, 2020.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products I believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, I will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items. Thank you for helping to support An Edible Mosaic!
Laura | Tutti Dolci says
This looks so delicious, Faith! I think (hope!) the cauliflower makes it guilt-free ;).
Genius to glam up cauliflower mash like this, Faith! I love the balance of decadence and nourishment!
I’m with you in loving autumn, Faith! I love how it sets the trees ablaze with color and that first hint of chill in the air.
Kevin | Keviniscooking says
This one looks so creamy and cheesy, quite the side I’d gladly serve next to a steak. :)