Gluten and Lactose-Free Stovetop Cauliflower “Macaroni” and Cheese is just 30 minutes to cheesy perfection…you won’t even miss the pasta!
Mmm, mac and cheese, is the mantra filling my head every fall when the weather turns chilly and I start craving comfort food. There’s something about carby pasta enrobed in creamy cheese sauce that speaks to my soul.
I don’t indulge those mac and cheese cravings nearly as much as I’d like to, so I try to come up with creative ways to get my fix. Namely, with dishes like this that feature nutrient-rich veggies instead of pasta, so these cravings can be satisfied on a much more regular basis. This recipe is great for whipping up as a weeknight side dish along with just about anything (and heads-up, it works just as well as an addition to your holiday spread!).
This dish is actually kind-of an old-school thing; growing up, I remember my mom making broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce and it was always one of my favorite side dishes. Every dinner she’d serve a vegetable along with a carby side dish like potatoes, rice, or pasta and a lean meat (our dinners were cookie-cutter that way), but it was always a good night when cheese sauce was on the menu.
Here I made a super simple cheese sauce on the stovetop. Onion and garlic gets a quick sauté and is seasoned with a little Dijon mustard, hot sauce, and Worcestershire. I used GO VEGGIE Vegan Classic Plain Cream Cheese and GO VEGGIE Lactose Free Cheddar Shreds (for the perfect combination of creamy and melty cheese), both of which are gluten free and lactose-free and have less fat than ordinary cheese. And did you know that GO VEGGIE cream cheese is now non-GMO project verified?!
If you’re looking for some more gluten and lactose-free cheesy side dish inspiration for your holiday table, I have you covered…
What’s your favorite comfort food?
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 1 lb/455 g), chopped into bite-sized florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8 oz/227 g) tub GO VEGGIE Vegan Classic Plain Cream Cheese
- ¼ cup (60 ml) low-sodium vegetable stock or water
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (use vegan Worcestershire to keep this dish vegetarian)
- ½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (7 oz/198 g) package GO VEGGIE Lactose Free Cheddar Shreds
- 1 scallion, white and green parts, thinly sliced (for garnish)
- A sprinkle of smoked sweet paprika (for garnish)
- Add the cauliflower to a medium saucepan and cover by 2 to 3 inches with cold water. Cover the saucepan and bring to a boil, and then turn the heat down, cock the lid, and cook until the cauliflower is fork-tender, but not mushy, about 4 to 6 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, add the oil, onion, and garlic to a large skillet over medium heat and cook until the onion is soft, but not browned, about 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cream cheese, vegetable stock or water, Dijon, hot sauce, Worcestershire, salt, and black pepper, and whisk until smooth. Add the cheddar shreds a handful at a time, whisking after each addition to fully incorporate. Once the shreds are melted, turn off the heat.
- Stir together the cauliflower and cheese sauce, transfer to a serving dish, top with the scallion and smoked paprika, and serve.
Disclosure: I received the GO VEGGIE products that I used in this recipe for free, and I also received compensation for this post. I am happy for the opportunity to share brands that I believe in with my readers, and I hope you enjoy my recipe. As always, opinions stated are my own.