The Best Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing is low-carb, as well as rich, creamy, and full of flavor; it’s perfect on everything from salad to chicken wings!
The thing about blue cheese is that it evokes an extreme reaction in most people: either you really love it, or it’s not even something you can gag down. For those of us who fall into the “yuuuum, blue cheese” camp, I have the perfect dressing for you.
I’m a firm believer that all other ingredients (other than blue cheese) in blue cheese dressing are there to either 1) make it creamy or 2) subtly pull out the flavor of blue cheese. It’s kind-of like using vanilla in baking; everyone says the flavor of vanilla shouldn’t be detected in the final baked good, but it should smell faintly of vanilla and the other flavors should stand out a little more because of it.
In this recipe, mayo and heavy cream are there just for the creamy dressing factor. The other stuff – apple cider vinegar, Frank’s hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder – are included to enhance the flavor of the blue cheese. (And if you’re thinking about using a different hot sauce than Frank’s, do what you must, but as a Buffalonian, I can in no way get behind that, lol!)
And then because blue cheese and pear are such a natural pairing, I went ahead and fancied up this dressing by using it on a gorgeous salad. You won’t believe how perfectly it goes with the other simple components of this salad!
Where do you fall on the blue cheese spectrum?
- ⅓ cup mayo
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Frank’s hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon each salt, black pepper, and garlic powder
- 1 Romaine lettuce heart, thinly sliced
- 1 pear, cored and thinly sliced (I used Bosc)
- 3 tablespoons toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- For the dressing, stir together all ingredients in a medium bowl. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- For the salad, arrange all ingredients on 2 salad plates and top with a few dollops of blue cheese dressing. Serve immediately.
Here are a few other fabulous salad dressings: