This easy Apple Chutney Recipe is lightly spiced with a perfect sweet and tart balance, and the flavor of apple really shines!
When apple season is upon us, I love eating them out-of-hand.
There’s nothing better than biting into an apple that’s sweet with a slight tart flavor, full of apple aroma, and crisp-textured.
But I also love playing around with various apple recipes!
And apple is also great in savory recipes, like chicken breakfast sausage and chicken skillet dinner with cabbage and cranberries.
Lying somewhere in the middle of sweet and savory is Apple Chutney!
What is Chutney?
Chutney is a condiment from India. It’s typically made from fruit or vegetables and contains both sugar and vinegar for a balanced sweet, tart flavor. Herbs or spices are often added to chutney, and it can be slow-cooked like jam or quick-cooked like relish.
Apple Chutney Recipe
This Apple Chutney Recipe has a balanced flavor profile and a variety of soft and crunchy textures.
It has a sweet tart flavor with notes of caramel from brown sugar.
It’s laced with a touch of cinnamon, and a hint of vanilla adds depth.
A pinch of salt and a little splash of apple cider vinegar balance out the flavor.
Last but not least, walnuts add nutty crunch and golden raisins add soft chewy bursts of sweetness.
What do You Use Apple Chutney For?
Because Apple Chutney is both sweet and savory, you can use it in a lot of different ways:
- Serve it with roast chicken or sausage.
- Add it to a cheese platter; it’s particularly good with white cheddar or brie!
- Use it as a topping for yogurt.
- Add it to a turkey sandwich or a grilled cheese sandwich.
How Long Does Homemade Apple Chutney Last?
This Apple Chutney Recipe will last up to 2 weeks stored covered in the fridge.
More Apple Recipes:
- Apple Slab Pie with Nutty Oat Crumble Topping
- How to Make Applesauce
- Lazy Pierogi Casserole with Sauerkraut and Apple
- Curried Coconut Carrot Apple Soup
- Apple Walnut Rainbow Swiss Chard Salad
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith
Apple Chutney Recipe
- Add all ingredients to a small-medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook (covered) until the apple is fork-tender, but not mushy, about 8 minutes.
- Store covered in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- You can serve this Apple Chutney hot or cold.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products I believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, I will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items. Thank you for helping to support An Edible Mosaic!