This Gluten Free Beef Meatball Recipe yields tender and flavorful meatballs, and it comes together easily for a delicious weeknight meal!
Some meals are always saved for special occasions.
Usually if it’s just my hubby and I for dinner and pasta is on the menu, I whip up a quick tomato sauce with browned ground beef. Meatballs in my house usually mean a special occasion, mostly because I typically don’t take the time to make them.
But this recipe comes together fast enough to be weeknight-friendly, promise!
Gluten Free Beef Meatball Recipe
I generally try to eat paleo-ish 80% of the time. Paleo-friendly beef meatballs have been on my list of things to make for a while now! And this Gluten Free Beef Meatball recipe is also low carb and keto-friendly.
Pro Tip: To make these meatballs low carb and keto-friendly, make sure to use keto-friendly tomato sauce.
What Can I Use Instead of Breadcrumbs for Meatballs?
Here almond meal replaces the breadcrumbs that are typically found in meatballs. Alternatively, you could use almond flour.
With garlic, onion, and Italian herbs, these meatballs are full of flavor.
In order to keep this full recipe paleo, be sure to look for a paleo-friendly tomato sauce or make a quick homemade version. And serve them on zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, or another paleo option!
How to Cook Meatballs
Instead of baking or frying these meatballs, I simmered them in tomato sauce! Not only does this eliminate an extra cooking step (and an extra dish to wash), but it also infuses them with even more flavor.
How to Serve Meatballs
Beef meatballs are made even better when served on a bed of something delicious.
And there are a ton of different ways to serve meatballs! Here are just a few ideas:
- Spiralized zucchini or yellow summer squash
- Spaghetti squash
- Regular spaghetti
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Creamy Polenta
What Side Dishes to Serve with Meatballs:
- No Knead Bread
- Cauliflower Crust Garlic “Breadsticks”
- Garlic Roasted Mushrooms
- Simple Italian Salad
- Garlic Bread
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith
Gluten Free Beef Meatball Recipe
- For the meatballs, add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix to combine with your hands (being careful not to over-mix). Form the meat into 12 meatballs; place them on a plate and refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add all ingredients for the sauce to a medium-sized saucepan. Cover the saucepan and bring to a boil, and then turn the heat down to simmer.
- Once the meatballs have chilled for 15 minutes, add them to the simmering sauce and cook 20 minutes. Leave the saucepan covered until the last 5 to 10 minutes so some of the liquid can cook off.
- Serve the meatballs with pasta or any kind of spiralized vegetable “noodles” you like.
- For the low carb and keto-friendly versions of this dish, use a keto-friendly tomato sauce.
- These meatballs freeze well, and can be reheated in the sauce on the stovetop or in the microwave.
This post was first published on An Edible Mosaic on November 4, 2015. I updated it with more information on April 23, 2020.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products I believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, I will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items, which helps me keep this site alive – thank you for helping to support An Edible Mosaic!